Find an Answer
Web Chat is a portal feature that allows you to initially launch support sessions in a chat-only, web-based interface with the option to upgrade to a standard (i.e., screen sharing) support session if needed. This allows customers to participate in support sessions without downloading an .exe file, because the session initiates within the same browser window as the customer portal. This enables faster time into session and quicker problem resolution without involving firewalls or software downloads. Sessions can take place completely within the Web Chat format, or they can be escalated into full screen-sharing support sessions (in which case the customer is guided through the GoToAssist Corporate Customer download within the same Web Chat window, allowing the customer and representative to continue communicating throughout the download process).
Depending on the customer's operations system, Web Chat will use either Adobe® Flash® Player or HTML to power the session (i.e., desktop customers use Flash, while mobile customers will use HTML).
Though available for all modes, Web Chat is ideal for Web Mode or Queue Mode configurations.
If your account has Web Chat enabled, all support sessions (i.e., FastChat, HTML Chat, or native chat within the customer application) will automatically begin within HelpAlert once a connection has been established with the customer. If desired, you can upgrade Web Chat sessions to standard support sessions.
- During a Web Chat session, click the Upgrade icon in the List View window toolbar (or select Session > Upgrade Customer to Standard Session in the menu).
- Click Yes when prompted to upgrade the session.
- A new chat message will automatically be sent to the customer notifying them that they are being upgraded to a screen-sharing support session and instructing them to click the link if the download does not begin automatically.
- Customers can save the GoToAssist Launcher file to their computer, then open the saved file and click Run to launch the GoToAssist Corporate Customer application.
- When prompted to share their screen, customers can click OK to continue.
- Depending on your account settings, the customer will be launched into session in one of the following ways:
The Web Chat window will become deactivated and show a message that the active session has been transferred to the GoToAssist Corporate Customer application. Customers can then close the Web Chat window and continue chatting via the customer Chat box, which will include the chat conversation up to that point.
- The Web Chat window will remain active during and after the upgrade process. Depending on your account settings, the GoToAssist Corporate Customer application will behave as follows:
The Chat box will not be included in the Customer application. Customers can continue using the Web Chat window to continue the conversation.
The Chat box will open and include the chat conversation up to that point. Customers can use both the Chat box and the Web Chat window to continue the conversation.
Both you and the customer can view the chat log for the chat session once it has ended.
Representatives can go to Session > Save Chat Log in the Representative Chat box to save the .txt file, or view the chat log in a session report.
Note: Some representatives may not have access to the Management Center to run reports, depending on their account configuration.