Find an Answer
The GoToMyPC printer uses a universal print driver that works with most printers. However, if your printer would require you to install a matching print driver on your host computer by manually enabling the printer.
To manually enable a specific printer, you must do the following:
Step 1 - Ensure the same printer driver is installed on both the host computer (the computer you remotely access) and the client computer (the computer you use to access the host).
Step 2 - Add the printer you wish to enable to your host computer's list of recognized devices.
1. On your client computer, click Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
2. Right-click the printer you would like to manually enable and select Printer Properties.
3. Under the Advanced tab, note the printer driver.
4. On your host computer, go to the manufacturer website for your client computer's printer and locate your driver. If you are asked to select the operating system for the driver, select the operating system of your host computer.
5. Ensure that the print driver you plan to download matches or most closely matches the existing print driver on the client computer. In the example below, both drivers are designed to work with the HP Laserjet P1006, but the two drivers are not identical, which may prevent successful remote printing.
6. Download and install the driver on your host computer following the manufacturer’s setup instructions.
1. On your host computer, right-click the icon in the system tray of your remote desktop and select Preferences.
2. Select the Printing tab and then click Add Printer. The Add Printer wizard opens.
3. Click Add a local printer.
4. Ensure "Use an existing port" is checked and then select GoToPort from the drop-down menu.
5. Click Next. The list of printers appears.
6. Select the manufacturer and model of your printer and click Next.
Note: If the printer driver you downloaded did not come with installed software, you may have to locate the setup file that is needed to complete the installation. Click Have Disk and locate the folder where you downloaded the driver files to. Select the appropriate setup file and continue with the installation.
7. If the printer you select already has a driver installed, choose which version you would like to use and click Next.
If a driver is not installed, enter the name of the printer you are installing and click Next.
8. When prompted about print sharing, check "Do not share this printer" and click Next.
9. If this is your main printer, check "Set as the default printer" if this is to be your main printer.
10. Click Print a test page to ensure that the printer works properly.
11. Click Finish.
Your printer is now set up to work with GoToMyPC. As a best practice, we recommend that you also disable bidirectional support from manually enabled printers. If you are still having trouble enabling your printer, please see Troubleshooting.