Find an Answer
Note: Administrators must have this feature enabled in order for customers to use this process.
If desired, administrators can allow incidents to be automatically created from emails received by a special support email address (this is enabled on a per-service basis). The support email address is a unique email address that is automatically created for each service by the Service Desk system ( "service-name] @ [customer portal URL]").
Integrating a service's support address with an organization's own email address opens up access to a few additional features within Service Desk, including the following:
Administrators can allow incidents to be created via email in either (or both) of the following ways:
Note: Only emails sent from email addresses already registered as a customer in Service Desk will trigger the creation of a new incident. If you would like unknown senders to be automatically added as new customers, see Configure menu > Customer Access > Allow email self registration. See Configure Customer Portal Access Permissions for more information.
When the support email address is enabled, if someone sends an email to the support email address, a new incident will be created under the designated service using the content from the email.
1. Go to Configure > Services > [select service].
2. On the General tab, use the "Enable support address" check box to enable or disable the support email address.
3. Click Save when finished.
When the support email address is integrated with a 3rd-party email address, if someone sends an email to the organization’s own email address, it will be automatically forwarded to the service's support email address. This will trigger the creation of a new incident under the designated service using the content from the email.
1. First, enable the support email address as detailed above. Take note of the Service Desk support email address listed on the page.
2. Open the email client used by your organization (i.e., Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, Google Gmail, Apple Mail) and create a new forwarding rule that automatically forwards emails to the Service Desk support email address (from Step #1).
3. Test the configuration by sending an email to the organization’s won email address. Within a few minutes, it should create a new incident in the appropriate service with the default assignee, priority, owner etc. as configured for the service.