Find an Answer
You can choose to have all of your screen-sharing support sessions recorded and stored in the Remote Support web application so that you can download them within 90 days.
Note: You must be using GoToAssist Expert desktop application version 1.6, build 428 or newer to use Session Recording. If you use an older build your sessions will still be recorded, but you will be unable to download them.
Topics in this article:
Before you can start using Session Recording, you (or your account administrator) must first enable it on the account.
To start using Session Recording:
1. Click Configure in the top navigation and select GoToAssist Settings.
2. Select the "Enable Session Recording" check box. This will enable the recording of both attended and Unattended Support Sessions for all Companies on the account.
Note: It may take up to 5 minutes for this change to take effect.
- If you wish to disable Session Recording for specific Companies on the account: Click Configure again and select Companies. Click the Company name, select the Session Recording tab and select the "Exclude this Company from session recording" check box. Click Save.
Note: It may take up to 5 minutes for this change to take effect. Attended support sessions will still be recorded as long as Session Recording is turned on for the entire account.
You can access and download your session recordings using the Remote Support web application.
1. After you conduct a support session for which you want to download the recording, open the session recording page in either of the following ways:
- Click Download recorded sessions in the Shortcuts menu on the Remote Support home page.
- Click Remote Support in the top navigation and select Session Recording.
2. If necessary, use the “Search & Filters” pane on the left side to find the session you want to download.
3. Select the session from the “Session Recording Archive” pane so that its details appear in the “Details for Session Recording” pane on the right. Click Prepare for download.
Note: Session recordings remain online for 90 days. The “Storage expiry” section notes how much longer until recordings disappear.
4. A “Prepare Download” window warns that converting the session into a MPEG-4 file will take some time to complete. Click OK to close.
5. The “Details for Session Recording” pane displays a “Please wait – MPEG-4 file is being created” message until it is completed. Technicians can also choose to receive an email notification when the conversion is complete by selecting the check box.
Note: Session recordings are limited to approximately 60 minutes per session. However, high screen activity (including high resolution and multiple monitors) may result in shorter recording limits. The support session will continue without interruption even after Session Recording stops.
6. Once the recording has been converted, the Action icon in the “Session Recording Archive” pane changes to . Click Download file in the “Details for Session Recording” pane.
7. In the “Download Available” window, click Download. Click Open or Save when prompted to download the .MP4 file.
Note: Using VLC Media Player to play your session recordings is highly recommended (for both Windows and Mac). Playing recordings on Windows Vista or older may require downloading additional software.
If you belong to more than 1 GoToAssist account and want to ensure that Attended Support Sessions are recorded under the correct account, you should log in at https://app.gotoassist.com and use the Company drop-down menu (after “@” in the top navigation) to select a Company in the correct account.
Note: If you find that your sessions are not being recorded, they should ensure that Session Recording is enabled in the correct account.